Saturday, June 14, 2008

HINTS Newsletter June 2008

HINTS International
a charitable trust for
Help In New Testament Study
Rev. John R. Werner, Ph.D., Chairman

306 Woodcrest Dr.
Richardson, TX 75080-1946
JohnRWerner@yahoo.com
JUNE, 2008

==============================================================

The LORD will be awesome to them
when he destroys all the gods of the land.
The nations on every shore will worship him,
every one in its own land.
Zeph. 2:10-11 NIV

==============================================================

Dear friends in Christ,

As you know, God took me to Greece at age 26 to make me an
international Christian and a husband. I'd thought I was going there
just to study Greek archaeology. And I did.

A few days, ago, I read the newsletter of the archaeology school.
You'd be shocked, as I am, by an item in it. A scholar blasts
"Christian intolerance and fanaticism" resulting in "Christian
mutilation and desecration" of pagan idols. He praises "attempts to
revive the very native religions of Greece that inspired the past
achievements and glories of Greek civilization." Another item in
the same newsletter tells how this year's students enacted a pagan
rite.

How sadly atheism leads to a slide back down into paganism! (As of
June 6, that issue is not yet on line. When it is, you can see it at
www.ascsa.edu.gr/index.php/publications/Akoue/.)

No, I'm not saying we should swing sledge hammers at early art
objects. But a nation may turn to the one true and living God. They
may choose not to save their idols as art. I think no one should
object to their smashing them.

Maybe no land has more idols (of the visible kind) than India. You
may recall that in 2002 summer we were in Calcutta. The same mission
has asked us back August 11 to December 19. They want me to teach
Greek and a New Testament book (not yet chosen). The Lord willing,
we'll be there.

As you know, I'm trying to sell my house. As of this writing, some
agents have seen it but no buyers. Please keep praying.

Sold or not sold, plans are to move in with Beth and her family in
California. We're to leave Dallas in mid July. After that move my
address is to be:

915 Westmont Rd.
Santa Barbara, CA 91308-1035.

No phone number: I'll just catch up with the 21st century by adding
a cell phone to Beth and Maurice's plan. My e-address will stay the
same.

Thank you for being at my side in prayer. You've been there each
time we've helped Bible translators. You've been there each time
we've taught up-coming preachers and teachers. I'm counting on you
to be there also during this time of change.

If you change your e-address, please send me your new e-address.

Your fellow servant,

John

gratefully serving the Lord Jesus Christ,
through His gracious supply
through the grateful offerings of His people and through
HINTS International Charitable Trust
John R. Edwards, Treas.
7916 Anchor St.
Frisco, TX 75035-6339
JREdwards@waymark.net HINTS is a "501(c)(3)" org.
972-712-1017 All gifts are tax deductible.

No comments: